Sunday, July 22, 2018

Question about leadership

I believe i'm a good leader. I have received this comment from many of the people I worked with and their feedback reinforced my belief as I grew in experience and knowledge.
I was asked this question on Linkedin by someone and I thought it would be worth sharing with everyone:

Hello XXXXXX,

I believe leadership has a lot to do with emotional intelligence, empathy and experience. Being a leader to me is like being a father in your family. You have to mentor your team, watch over it and be considerate when it comes to people's situations and circumstances. But at the same time a father is strict and disciplines his children because he wants them to be disciplined and to grow up strong. The same applies to teams. A leader should be firm but gentle, it's a mix between 2 worlds.

You have to be assertive as well and knowledge in the field you're working in, as you know in development and software, developers tend not to respect their managers if they don't understand the business or the software industry, so you have to get enough knowledge and experience to aquire their respect so you can direct them in the way you think your company needs but at the same time give them enough freedom to make their own choices and decisions.

I hope I was able to help, let me know if you need more information.

Regards,
Joe

That was my reply in short, I hope it helps someone understand my point of view.

No comments:

Post a Comment